Visitor Info > Landmarks > City of Milwaukee > Marquette > St. Joan of Arc Chapel

St. Joan of Arc Chapel [edit]
1442 W. Wisconsin Ave.
Milwaukee, WI 53233
(414) 288-6873
www.marquette.edu/chapel/index...
Print
E-Mail
Post Talkback
Business closed? Notify Us
Description [edit]
Located behind Marquette's Memorial Library (14th and Wisconsin) is a lovely little building with a steep-pitched roof and pointed spire. It is by far the oldest structure in Milwaukee. It was built in the 15th century as Chapelle de St. Martin de Sayssuel in the French village of Chasse.

It was gifted to Marquette in the mid-'60s and is widely considered to be an outstanding example of pure Gothic architecture and Marquette is quick to point out that many believe it to be the only medieval structure in the Western Hemisphere still dedicated to its original purpose.


Interactive map