Beware of Milwaukee Water Works imposters
After the recent flooding issues, three people reported to the Milwaukee Water Works that a person dressed like a utility worker asked to enter their home to investigate floodwater.
The imposter or imposters showed up at the door of a North Side house and two South Side homes. None of the residents allowed the man to enter their home.
The Milwaukee Water Works reported the incidents to the police.
Protect yourself and your family from scam artists who pose as utility employees by following these tips:
1. Do not open your door to someone you do not recognize. Do not allow anyone to enter your home if you are not sure of his or her identity.
2. Ask to see photo identification (I.D.) through a window. Milwaukee Water Works and other utility employees and contractors carry photo I.D. Legitimate employees will be happy to show you their I.D. if you ask, or call the utility office to verify their identification.
3. Call the Milwaukee Water Works (414) 286-2830 if you are unsure about a person's identification or to verify work to be done at your home. Call the police if you believe the person is an imposter.
4. Do not allow anyone to enter your home claiming to collect a past-due bill, inspect plumbing fixtures or to sell utility products such as a meter or other equipment. Milwaukee Water Works employees do not engage in door-to-door sales, do not collect a past-due bill in person and do not deliver rebates or refunds.
5. Advise your elderly loved ones, friends and children about what to do if strangers approach their home and ask to come in.
Post a comment / write a review.
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.