Do This: Enjoy the happiest hour of the day during Taste & Toast
The weather might be cold and dreary, but it's a great time to get out and support some of Milwaukee's best restaurants.
You can do so during Taste & Toast, an annual event featuring specially priced small plates, appetizers and a variety of both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
This year's happy hour extravaganza takes place March 5-9 with happy hour specials at participating Downtown restaurants available between 4 and 7 p.m. daily (see individual restaurant information for exceptions).
How could you spend your happy hour? Here are some examples.
- The Oak Barrel Public House's roasted beet & chickpea hummus served with na'an and crudite ($5) is a solidly healthy after work pick. Pair it with their signature barrel aged old fashioned featuring Bulleit bourbon and Filthy cherries that have been aged in a barrel for 2 weeks ($6).
- A Nashville Chicken sandwich from Clear Bar & Lounge featuring a fried, boneless skinless chicken thigh, buttery bun, McClure's pickles and cider vinegar slaw ($7) might just hit the spot alongside the "Frisco Sour" made with scotch, Benedictine and lemon juice ($6).
- Crispy shrimp with grilled marinated pineapple, green curry mayo and toasted coconut ($5) might just pair perfectly with the "Helsinki Cosmo" featuring grapefruit vodka, Crème de Cassis, rosemary, lemon ($5) or the "No Way Jose" featuring lime, ginger, Bacchus housemade grenadine and habanero shrub ($3). Available at Bacchus.
- Pastiche at the Metro will feature delicious snacks like creamy baked chevre with tomato sauce, petite greens and crostini ($5). Enjoy it alongside a champagne cocktail or mocktail for just $5.
- Pig wings (deep fried spare ribs, $7) and the "White Russian Root Beer" featuring vanilla vodka, Sprecher Root Beer and half & half ($6) or blackberry basil lemonade ($5) will be mainstays at Doc's Commerce Smokehouse.
- Enjoy Onesto's lamb ragu with housemade ziti ($8) alongside a pour of premium red or white wine for $5. You can also swap out non-alcoholic sangria with cranberry, orange, grape, lemon and lime juices and Sprite for $2.
And there's a whole lot more where that came from.
The full list of participating restaurants includes: AJ Bombers, Bacchus, Blu, The Brown Bottle, Cantina Taco & Tequila Bar, Carson's, CLEAR Bar & Lounge at the Intercontinental, Cubanitas, Doc's Commerce Smokehouse, Flannery's, Harbor House, The Knick, The Pfister Lobby Lounge, Mi•key's, Miller Time Pub & Grill, Millioke, Milwaukee ChopHouse, Monarch Lounge, Oak Barrel Public House, Onesto, Pastiche at the Metro, Pier 106, Point Burger Express, The Pub Club, The Rumpus Room, SafeHouse, Smoke Shack, Swig, and Who's on Third. Full menus for each venue are available online at milwaukeedowntown.com.
"Taste & Toast is a unique event that highlights downtown Milwaukee's evolving restaurant and nightlife scenes," notes Beth Weirick, CEO of Milwaukee Downtown, BID #21. "Offering smaller portions and lower price points gives downtowners the opportunity to sample several hot spots in one night – an experience that brings both first-time patrons and repeat restaurant-goers in the door."
Diners are also invited to complete an online Taste & Toast survey about their experiences during the event. In return, two lucky diners, which will be randomly drawn from all completed surveys, will be awarded $375 in dining gift certificates. The survey can be found at milwaukeedowntown.com.
Taste & Toast is a prelude to Downtown Dining Week, which will take place May 31 through June 7.
Post a comment / write a review.
Disclaimer: Please note that Facebook comments are posted through Facebook and cannot be approved, edited or declined by OnMilwaukee.com. The opinions expressed in Facebook comments do not necessarily reflect those of OnMilwaukee.com or its staff.